Saint José Sánchez del Río
Beginning in January 2022, the new patron for the Shrine’s youth guild will be Saint José Sánchez del Río—the 14-year-old youth from Mexico who, for the witness of his Catholic Faith, was imprisoned, tortured and martyred as he shouted out his final words, “¡Viva Cristo Rey! ¡Viva la Virgen de Guadalupe!”, which means, “Long live Christ the King! Long live the Virgin of Guadalupe!”
Considering that the Church has declared him the patron of children, adolescents, and persecuted Christians, his witness continues to leave a lasting impact throughout America. Dedicating the Shrine’s Youth Guild to the patronage of Saint José Sánchez del Río is just one more mark of his heroic legacy. He is the ideal saint for youth under the mantle of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
The Youth Guild of Saint José Sánchez del Río accepts memberships from toddlers to teenagers. Youths are encouraged to register themselves, if possible, yet parents and grandparents may also register children and grandchildren. Registration information is below. Youths who have been members of the Saint Juan Diego Guild for Children are automatically enrolled in the Youth Guild of Saint José Sánchez del Río.
Members of the Youth Guild receive three very important benefits:
- On the Feast Day of Saint José Sánchez del Río, February 10, the Shrine will host a special Mass for the youth guild, at the conclusion of which the celebrant will bless guild members with a first-class relic of Saint José Sánchez del Río.
- As members are commended to the special intercession of Saint José Sánchez del Río, each guild member receives a medal of the young saint.
- Beginning in January 2022, members receive monthly editions of the Shrine’s new youth journal, Full of Grace.
Full of Grace – a New Youth Journal
The Full of Grace Youth Journal highlights aspects of the Catholic Faith that are inspirational and educational to today’s youths. Each youth journal features the following:
- a new young saint for each month
- one of Pope Saint John Paul II’s letters to youth
- Scripture commentary and catechesis
- holy cards
- a new Bible verse to memorize that month
- daily consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Cardinal Burke and Father Check’s responses to Catholic questions from youths